Likee Breaking the Hegemony of its competitors in India
Breaking the Hegemony of its competitors “Likee” is making its biggest global push since launching in 2017. Likee emerged as the 6th most downloaded app in the world in the Q1 Global App Market Index by App Annie. The number of new apps downloaded in Q1 2020 was 22.5 billion on Google Play (5% YoY growth) and 9 billion on the iTunes App Store (15% YoY growth). If we look closely at the Index Likee is the second most downloaded App after its “only competitor Tiktok”, and differentiates itself as a most preferred short video, LIVE Broadcast & social community App.
- Q. How Likee breathing down on TikTok’s neck? A. Likee which has over 330mn downloads worldwide in 2019, which have over 50% downloads from India has been engaging the audience and has captured a considerable amount of market share as the current market leader boasts of 190.6 million downloads in India in 2019.
- Likee has been successful in closing on to the gap with TikTok in India has already forayed into the US market to challenge the dominance of TikTok. The 2019 breakout app has seen a rise of 208% rise in Monthly Active Users across the globe. moreover Likee was the 4th most downloaded social media app globally Sensor Tower report
- Current COVID 19 situation has been a boon for many social media platforms where the traction has increased in the time spent by a user on these platforms, apart from providing entertaining content the platform has onboarded doctors and tied up with other brands like “Healthians” to dispel the myth about coronavirus and educate people on the right kind of preventive measures, where doctors, creators are contributing to the awareness about the current situation.
- Hashtags like #StayInTheHome, #Fightcorona, # Istayhome, #coronafacts, and many others have already garnered over 400mn views.
- In India, the short video platform has collaborated with many movie and music production houses like Salman Khan Films, FoxStar Studio Hindi, Universal Music, T-Series, Believe music etc and have onboarded many celebrities to gain the initial momentum in the market. Coupled with these initiatives, Likee had launched Likee dreams to educate the underprivileged in nuances of video making has allowed the platform to create inroads in various market segments.